Like the dish, I planned on making that one of the simplest intros. to date, but I forgot to mention that the thanks to this recipe goes out to the "Perfect Fish and Seafood" cookbook my mother-in-law bought me. And, as much as I loved it, I can't make claims for it being too kid-friendly. I just don't find it worth wasting the money on tasty smoked salmon for the kids if it doesn't get the appreciation it so deserves.
INGREDIENTS:
THE PASTA:
- 6-8 oz. your choice pasta (I used ~4 oz. linguine for Keith's and ~3 oz. DeBoles brown rice angel hair for myself)
- 2 TBSP olive oil
- 1 red pepper, seeded and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves minced OR 1/2 TBSP pre-minced garlic
- 1 small shallot chopped OR 1 pearl onion chopped OR 2 TBSP chopped onion
- 2-3 oz. arugula OR baby spinach leaves
- 4 oz. smoked salmon, cut into strips
- dash of sea salt and pepper (I like to use McCormick's Garlic Pepper Seasoning Grinder instead of black pepper)
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1-2 TBSP more of olive oil
- 1/2 bunch of asparagus, ends chopped and cooked in 1/2 TBSP heated olive oil, seasoned with a dash of ground mustard and sea salt
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 lemon per serving, for garnish
SUMMARY: get the pasta cooking- prep the veggies- saute some asparagus- saute the rest of the pasta ingredients- add the pasta- garnish with avocado and lemon
STEP ONE- THE PREP:
Get the pot(s) of water set to boil for the pasta and be ready to add once boiling. Chop the red pepper, mince the garlic, chop the shallot, and cut the salmon into strips.
STEP TWO- THE ASPARAGUS:
Heat the 1/2 TBSP of olive oil over medium high heat in a small frying pan. Add the asparagus and dash of ground mustard and salt. Saute until the asparagus turns a lovely green (about 4-5 minutes).
STEP THREE- THE REST OF THE PASTA:
Heat a large wok with the 2 TBSP olive oil over medium high heat. Add the red peppers and saute until softened and slightly lighter in color (about 2 minutes). Reduce heat to low and add the minced garlic and shallot. Stir constantly for about 1 minute, taking care not to let the garlic brown (reduce the heat more if that begins to be the case). Add the arugula and stir frequently until it begins to wilt. Add the salmon and seasonings.
Finish off by adding the pasta. (OR in my case- adding half the concoction in another large pan and adding the regular pasta into one pan and the brown rice pasta into the other). Throw in 1-2 more TBSP of olive oil, if needed to moisturize the pasta. Stir to coat.
STEP FOUR- GARNISH: with sliced avocado and lemon wedges. (A few squeezes here and there was just enough to add the final flavor for perfection).
THE KID STEP:
I admit, I've abandoned them this week for tasty dishes we adults can appreciate. I did set some of the plain pasta aside, dressed it with a little butter and Parmesan. But the rest of their meals consisted of heated up Morning Star Veggie burgers, left over black beans, and plain French Green Beans. Sorry girls!!

0 Comments